Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 15:10:13 +0000
From:      Colman Reilly <creilly@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux emulator and Mathematica.

Using a vanilla 2.1R installation:

I've been trying to make Linux Mathematica using a network license,run
under the linux emulator, and after adding a trivial implementation  of
the syslog function and hardcoding my ethernet card's address into the
emulation of a socket ioctl (SIOCHWADDR) that wanted to know it (anyone want to
suggest a more general way of getting this information?), I have it
running to the stage previously reported by someone on the list.

The problem now is that mathclient crashes. Looking at the syslog output
and the system calls, it would appearing to be crashing on a sigreturn:

   791 mathclient CALL  sigreturn(0xefbfc0e0,0xe,0)
   791 mathclient RET   sigreturn -1 errno 1 Operation not permitted
   791 mathclient PSIG  SIGBUS SIG_DFL
   791 mathclient NAMI  "mathclient.core"

The signal it is responding to is a sigalarm.

Now, from my reading of the sigreturn stuff and the Design and Implementation of
4.3BSD, it would seem that what is happening is that the sigreturn is trying
to restore some part of the state that it is not permitted to manipulate. Would
this seem reasonable to the kernel experts out there? One problem with this
is that when I add a debugging message at the start of sigreturn it doesn't get
printed, though other processes do cause it to be printed.

Any ideas on what might cause this behaviour? The current version of the linux
emulator doesn't compile happily under 2.1.

Colman