Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:33:30 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Serial break into debugger broken from 'cu' on -CURRENT?

On Sunday, 10 March 2002 at 10:07:07 -0500, Robert Watson wrote:

> For the past couple of months, I've been working with a set of identical
> test boxes from SGI which, for some reason, stopped responding to serial
> break on the serial console.  I switched to the 'alternative break' option
> in LINT, and things work fine.  I assumed it was actually some issue with
> that particular batch of machines, since no one else had had a problem,
> and I didn't really have time to follow up.  Yesterday, I brought online
> two more crash boxes via serial console, both older TeleNet servers, and
> noticed that neither of them respond to serial break over the serial
> console using cu.  This leads me to wonder two things:
>
> (1) Is serial break currently broken in -CURRENT

Yes, I think so.

> (2) Is serial break currently broken in 'cu'?

No opinion, since I haven't tried using it.

What I have observed is:

  I use the same gdb for remote serial debugging both for FreeBSD and
  Linux (ia32).  That's right, it's a FreeBSD box running FreeBSD gdb
  in both cases.  I can break to the Linux kernel, but not to the
  FreeBSD kernel.  From this, I conclude that it's a kernel issue, not
  a gdb issue.

Greg