Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 18:14:10 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        paul@FreeBSD.org, pete@sms.fi (Petri Helenius), davidg@Root.COM, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Which SUP files are available and where ?

> The only problem is that 2.2 may not be very "stable" at the time 2.1
> is released.  We'll have to figure out a strategy for how we do the
> switch over after a release so that people who are relying on -stable
> don't get hosed.

Well, I don't expect that the "switch will be thrown" quite as neatly
as some here might hope.  I'm more inclined to suspect that 2.1 will
be followed by 2.1.1, 2.1.2, etc.  2.2 will be released with its own
experimental enhancements going on point releases of 2.2, etc.

The only serious question still to be resolved is just when the
"rollover" happens?  Does 2.1.x live forever, or does it get abandoned
with 2.2.x is "stable?"  Does 2.1 just become 2.3 at some point,
leaving the odd numbered releases as the "stable" ones and the even
numbered ones as "experimental?"  When does 2.2.x get abandoned in
favor of 2.4 then?

In short, we may be digging ourselves a deep hole if we can't decide
just how this is all going to work.

					Jordan