Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:56:39 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg (aka pkgng) 1.0 released

On Aug 30, 2012, at 9:43 AM, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone involved.
>=20
> I've been lightly testing pkg for a little while, but I still mainly =
use ports. This announcement prompted me to switch from portupgrade to =
portupgrade-devel (20120827 version) to see how it works with PKGNG. I =
encountered a couple issues:
>=20
> Portupgrade doesn't remove the pkgdb.db.lock reliably.
> Portupgrade doesn't handle stale lock files (just waits indefinitely =
for a nonexistent process to finish). A big problem when combined with =
the above.
> Running "portupgrade pkg" failed. It stalled trying to unregister the =
package installation after the old pkg was removed. I didn't dig too =
deeply but it seems like a dependency chicken-and-egg problem.

I tried this again so I could provide some more details. This is what =
shows in the terminal when it stalls:
	--->  Backing up the old version
	--->  Uninstalling the old version
	USING PKGNG
	--->  Deinstalling 'pkg-1.0'
	--->  Preserving /usr/local/lib/libpkg.so.0 as =
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libpkg.so.0
	The following packages will be deinstalled:

	        pkg-1.0

	The deinstallation will free 7 MB
	Deleting pkg-1.0... done
	[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ...=20

Running ps in another terminal shows "pkg query %n-%v". Since the actual =
pkg is now gone, I suspect this is really /usr/sbin/pkg. I further =
suspect that it's waiting for y/n input (whether to install the binary =
pkg) on its nonexistent stdin somewhere. I killed it (pkg) and =
portupgrade seemed to finish normally.

> I was able to reinstall using /usr/sbin/pkg, and I also tested "make =
&& make deinstall && make reinstall" of ports-mgmt/pkg successfully, so =
it may just be a portupgrade issue.