Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:31:45 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Patches rules (Was: Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/qpopper Makefile  ports/mail/qpopper/patchespatch-manpages ports/mail/qpopper/pkg MESSAGE  PLISTports/mail/qpopper/scripts pre-install)

Alexander Langer wrote:

> Thus spake Maxim Sobolev (sobomax@FreeBSD.org):
>
> > > Documentation can be changed.
> > It's not about documentation, it's about estabilished rules and principles.
> > Documentation only reflects it.
>
> bike-shed!
>
> Basically, my intention behind this:
>
> David O'Brien introduced this naming scheme for back some months
> already.
> He names all patches in the format patch-<filetopatch>.
>
> This naming-scheme is just great, because it helps maintaining ports a
> lot.  I happened to work on a port David O'Brien did with this
> naming-scheme, and it helped me a lot to know which patch affects
> which file. Seriously.
>
> That's why I have adopted it.  In the meanwhile, I've already imported
> some patches with such names, and nobody complained.
>
> In my opinion, the patch-xx scheme, where "xx" are two letters or
> digits, should be replaced with the scheme used above for new patches.
> It's much better.

We have *the rules* outlined in Handbook, if you do want to change it for
whatever reason you should write down you proposal and try to get approval from
the -ports people. Only when you have discussed it with others and got
sufficiently more positive responses than negative you can change rules and start
using new instead (and update docs to reflect it, BTW), not in the reverse order
- first start using it and only then try to get approval. What you are doing
right now is just not the Right Way [tm] to behave in the large project. The same
applies to O'Brien as well.

-Maxim