Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:39:43 -0400
From:      david mankins <dm@k12-nis-2.bbn.com>
To:        Juan Kuuse <freebsd@quik.guate.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /: file system full

   Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:04:51 -0600
   From: Juan Kuuse <freebsd@quik.guate.com>
   To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
   Subject: /: file system full

   I got the following message when I try to rebuild kernel, but I also
   get  the "file system full"  message at boot:

   Apr 12 12:34:44 ps1 /kernel: pid 293 (install), uid 0 on /: file system
   full

Good things to look for when / fills up:

- big things in /tmp (or a lot of old things in /tmp) (you looked for
  those, and didn't find them).

- look at the size of files in /var/log, /var/spool, etc.

- look to see if anything in /dev is a regular file (/dev/mt0 or other
  tape device is popular choice for this --- someone with appropriate
  privileges typing ``tar cf /dev/mt0'' on a system where there is
  /dev/mt0 will get no indication that the bits are going onto disk
  (into a regular file named ``/dev/mt0'') and not onto their tape.
  Especially now that tape drives aren't big vacuum-column-filled
  things with nine-inch reels that you can *see* are turning.

A good (albeit time-consuming) command to use when looking for the
root-filesystem-eating file is ``du -s''.

   in directory /, ls -s  gives:
   total 1348
      1 .cshrc                1 bin                   9   dev                   1 lkm                   0 sys
      1 .profile              1 boot                  1   dist                  1 mnt                   1 tmp
      1 A:                    0 boot.config           2   etc                   1 proc                  1 usr
      1 C:                    2 boot.help             0   home                  1 root                  1 var
      4 COPYRIGHT             1 cdrom                 0   kernel.config         2 sbin
      1 D:                    0 compat             1312   kernel.old            1 stand

Here's a subtlety.  ``ls -s'' is not telling you how much space files
in /tmp or /dev are taking up.  It is telling you the size of the
files containing the directory information.