Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 23:30:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lee Crites (ASC)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Translation to a safer language...

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

=>Pascal, Modula-2, Modula-3, and Ada are the most obvious

Pascal is a good language.  I still have more pascal code on my
system than any other single language.  I'm not thinking it would
be a good candidate, though.  Not because I don't think the
language can handle it, but because I don't think there are
enough really good pascal programmers.  Most people have taken a
pascal programming class sometime and would think they could
"handle" it, only to find out we turned out as bad a system as we
were trying to replace...

Modula-X isn't that much different than pascal.  The main
difference (in my mind, anyway) is that most of the programmers
would sense the need to learn a new language.  This way we would
at least start with people who were "fully trained" in the
language.

I've seen a few non-dod programs in ada, but not enough to really
make an analysis of the abilities of the language.

=>candidates; of course, a new language could be developed with
=>this application in mind. (The advantage of developing
=>something new is that it could have obvious, but safe, mappings
=>from C constructs, facilitating machine translation.) Ideas?

A new language doesn't seem like it would be a good idea to me.
We'd have to work on debugging a new language and a new compiler
and new libraries at the same time we are working on the
operating system.  It could happen, but I think we'd be better
off with an existing language.

I'd like to see some object oriented direction -- perhaps object
pascal or mod-3.

But all of this is the mindless ramblings of someone way out of
the loop, so take it for what it is (is not) worth...

Lee