Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:44:17 -0500
From:      Chris Vance <cvance@tis.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        cvance@tis.com
Subject:   LKM Interface

I have recently begun using FreeBSD's LKM interface to test and write
extensions to the base kernel.  In the past, I have read messages on
hackers calling for a newer, cleaner LKM interface.

>From the hackers list archives, I gather that it would be a good idea
to have:
	- a defined kernel interface
	- a symbol/image mapping to include module symbols in the exported
	  interface
	- efficient loading/unloading (for demand loaded/unloaded modules?)
	- ???

What are the other details of the desired interface and is there
currently any work being done on this front?

I am not using the LKM interface for device drivers or filesystems,
I'm just extending and supplementing miscellaneous existing structures
and interfaces.  Since most of the discussion focuses on device
drivers (or which I care very little) I wanted to know how a redesign
will affect other general kernel modules (are they being kept in
mind?).  There are many interesting ways a person might want to extend
the kernel while maintaining the claim that it is compatible with the
GENERIC FreeBSD kernel.  Also, testing extensions to the kernel are
expedited by the use of modload/modunload rather than /sbin/reboot;
you still get your share of page faults and panics, but iterative
development of a relatively stable extension consumes much less time.

I have limited experience with kernel design and theory, but am a
competent BSD kernel programmer.  Perhaps I could help with some of
the details that others have already thought through but don't have
time to jump in and implement?  LKM's are an area that I would love to
see developed to a greater extent than they currently are.

chris.