Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:16:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <a.reilly@lake.com.au>
To:        lists@natserv.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Undesirable behaviour of burncd erase

On  3 Jul, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Andrew Reilly wrote:
>
>> The other disks are masters on each of the two ATA controllers:
>>
>> ad0: 6149MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL EX6.4A> [13328/15/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
>> ad1: 6149MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL EX6.4A> [13328/15/63] at ata1-master UDMA33
>>
>> After producing a non-working CD with burncd, probably because of
>> the ill-advised placement of a "data" file, I tried to erase the
>> CD-RW disk before trying again.  So I did something like:
>>
>> burncd -e -f /dev/acd0c erase
>
> Andrew how about using blank instead of erase?
> Doesn't seem to freeze or have any problems on my machine.

I guess that's what I'll be doing, for now.  I'm new to this
burning game.  I thought that there might be read-through problems
if you didn't do a full erase pass first.

> Any benefits of using erase over blank?

Dunno.  I'll try blank the next time that I need to do that.

> Also I don't know if it would matter, but on which channel do you have the
> CD? I have it on the secondary as to not affect/interfere with the OS. I
> have few things on my second disk so I rarely access the CD and the second
> disk at the same time.

I have the CD as slave on ata1, because (a) I don't use it much
and (b) I have the major partitions (swap, usr, obj, local, var)
on alternate spindles of the disk drives, for performance.

> Another inmediate work around until the changes Soren mentioned may be to
> perhaps get an IDE card. This way the IDE channels would not be the same.

I think I'll just live with it or work around it until Soren's fix
works it way into -stable.  It's not critical to me, now that I
know how to avoid it.

--
Andrew