Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2012 23:24:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-embedded@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: Looking for hardware advice

Warner Losh wrote:
 > On Sep 28, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Warner Losh wrote:
 > > On Sep 28, 2012, at 11:06 AM, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > > Thanks for the pointers.  They're a little larger than I
 > > > envisioned, but it should work if I don't find any better
 > > > options.
 > >
 > > The 9g20u is really small only 2.5" x 2.5".  It supports USB for
 > > sure, and GPIO I think (need to double check: the drivers are there
 > > don't know if they are wired to userland).  I have the larger 9g20
 > > that's 3.75x3.5 inches. It is USB 1 speeds through. The g45 has
 > > USB2 speed ports.

Oh, sorry, I only saw the larger 9g20.  I didn't notice the
9g20u; 2.5" x 2.5" is definitely better.  Well, the smaller
the better.  :-)

 > I thought about getting FreeBSD up on the FEZ Hydra main board,
 > but it is kinda small with only 4MB flash and 16MB of RAM.

I think 16 MB is a little tight.  It might be doable, but
I'd prefer to avoid having to spend extra time to squeeze
everything in that space.  64 MB is more like what I had
in mind.

 > Also, if you want smaller, there's the Snapper 9g45 SODIMM shaped
 > module.
 > http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Blue-Water-Systems-Snapper-9G45,
 > which is only 2.7x1.0 inch.  There's also a few on USB-sticks, but
 > I don't have time to look for them.
 > http://www.calao-systems.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=5940 is a quick
 > pointer that might be supported by the QILA9G20 config.

Wow.  2.7 x 1.0 ist great, that would give me a lot more
flexibility with my project.  I'd be interested to hear if
anybody is actually running FreeBSD on such a small thing
successfully.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie.