Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:07:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: securelevel and ipfw zero

:Instead of zeroing it, how about raising the logging limit to (current +
:whatever the limit was)
:
: Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
: green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \

    The way I see it either some piece of software is monitor the counters,
    in which case the sysad does not need to clear them and does not need to
    look at log messages, or the sysad is monitoring the stuff manually and
    using the log messages.  In the one case the counters don't need to be
    cleared (and, indeed, should not be), in the other case the sysad may
    want to clear them due to the manual monitoring.

    What we are really discussing here is the use of ipfw's counters in an
    unsophisticated setup.  The sophisticated setup is already handled.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>