Date:      28 Oct 1999 01:42:58 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        don@calis.blacksun.org (Don), ticso@cicely.de (Bernd Walter), grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling

 * From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>

 * It has been that way for a long time.  I'm not sure why the limit is 8, but
 * it is.  (Someone might know.  I suspect it was just an arbitrary value
 * chosen a long time ago.)  Changing it might break backwards compatibility,
 * though.

It's because there were only 8 bits in the device minor number.  They
decided to divide that into 5 bits for the device ID (giving us 32
disks of the same type) and 3 bits for partition ID (8 partitions).

Since then, we've added 16 more bits to the device numbers but none of
them were allocated to partitions....

(See the comment near the bottom of /usr/include/sys/disklabel.h.)

Satoshi