Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 14:26:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        un_x@hotmail.com (steve  howe)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getopts

steve  howe recently stated:
> (2.1.5 - sh)
> -
> i notice that "getopt" allows multiples of the same options.
> - ie, "set `getopt -abc $*`" will allow multiple a's, b'a, or c's
> forcing a script or C program to error check those conditions,
> additionally eliminating valid options.
> -
> for example "script -abbc" will get "-a -b -b" and -c will get
> trashed in the "getopt" example above.  imho - getopt should bypass
> and multiple options and continue with the parsing ...

Huh?  You've miseed something.  Multiple instances of a flag are
often used by programs; debugging flags are often done this way.
For instance, each -d raises the debugging level by one.  Fixing
getopt in the manner you suggest would break these programs.
Your script command above should be exactly the same as running
"script -a -b -b -c"; your program is just going to have to handle
this.