Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:33:53 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= ), Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, julian@whistle.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

On Oct 12,  4:07pm, Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= wrote:
} Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com> writes:
} > On Oct 4,  9:51pm, "Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:
} > > 1) Use a UPS.
} > Even with an UPS, a large percentage of our unclean shutdowns are power
} > related.  Most of these are due to power outages that last longer than
} > our UPS batteries.
}
} 1.5) When the UPS reports that the battery is running low, shut
}      everything down.

I'd like to do that at some point.  I'd have to rig up some way of
broadcasting that info on our network, since the UPS lives two floors
below.  So far as I know, it's not network aware.  I haven't seen any
info on how to interface to it, but then I haven't really looked, either.