Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:55:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Fraser <petros.fraser@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtual memory consumption (both user and kernel) in modern CURRENT

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Peter Fraser wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression from a previous
> post that this would be inplemented in the new 6.1 release. Apparently I
> misread. I can now breathe a sigh of relief and migrate to 6.1 when
> released. Thanks again.

Yeah -- a new malloc implementation is a big deal, and it will need the next
year to settle out.  Not only will it have its own bugs and problems that need
fixing, but it has been triggering lots of previously latent application bugs,
and will continue to do so for some time to come.  It's a bit like putting in
a new compiler: worth it, but a lot of work!

Robert N M Watson