Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 12:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/29562: hier(7) still not very helpfull/exact

The following reply was made to PR docs/29562; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 21:25:51 +0200 (CEST)

 [ This message has already been sent to the originator ]

 >>Number:         29562
 >>Category:       docs
 >>Synopsis:       hier(7) still not very helpfull/exact
 >>Confidential:   no
 >>Severity:       non-critical
 >1) /usr/ is still discribed as "contains the majority of user utilities
 and
 >applications"
 >   i think this will mislead to think about "usr" as a short for
 "user"
 >   Maybe the manpage should (IMHO) more correctly state "usr" as
 >   a short for "Unix System Resources".

 Agnosco veteris vestigia flammae...

 In the past, this point was discussed on the -doc mailing list (eg
 "docs/21057: Little correction of hier(8)", which you is also listed
 in your google search.

 We had come to the conclusion that /usr probably derived from "USeR",
 and was also later interpreted as Unix System Resources; no (conclusive)
 evidence was then found; besides, this seemed irrelevant to the hier(7) man
 page.

 BTW (Ich lese und verstehe auch ein wenig Deutch), at
 http://www.netzmafia.de/skripten/unix/unix10.html#10.1, in
 prof. Plate's bibliography (which offers a limited selection of Unix books, a
 slighly Linux-centric one, for that matter), I can't find Kernighan & Pike's
 "The Unix Programming Environment"; the other links don't appear to provide a
 definitive answer.

 >   see google-> 'usr "Unix System Resources"'
 >>http://www.google.de/search?q=usr+%22Unix+System+Resources%22&hl=de&safe=off
 >
 >2) it is unclear to me where to store special application data of my
 >  servers.
 >   in freebsd, it seems to be *scattered* around in the filesystem.
 >   ---
 >   examples: commonly i would guess to store, as the manpage states,
 >   "multi-purpose log, temporary, _transient_, and spool files" in
 /var.
 >   Although there is /usr/ports (which changes often in my point of
 >   view), /usr/obj and /usr/src, which seem to be very dynamic also.
 >   ok, someone could say its static if you don't cvsup it, but i
 >   ports (say, apache, samba, postgresql), which all save highly
 >   changing data under /usr/local.
 >   ---
 >   But to get at the point: Where should i save my special application
 >   data, such as big samba shares, data of custom applications, etc?
 >   Should i put it in /var/myapp, or simply in /myapp? /usr/myapp
 >   would also come into question ..... or /home/myapp which i see some-
 >   times also. Is there a standart defined?
 >   I think thats not as much as a *bug* as a problem between keyboard and
 >   chair on my side, but i guess it would be helpfull to some people to
 >   state something like 'thats the place where your data fits in' in
 >   the hier(7) manpage.

 > I am waiting for your comments

 You may wish to search for "/usr/local abuse" and similar threads. You
 may find them interesting/instructive/useful. The FreeSD archives ARE a great
 resource. Sometimes, I think their wisdom should be condensed into a book. :-)

 BTW, followups should go to -chat.

 -- Salvo