Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 23:29:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      wolfgang@lyxys.ka.sub.org (Wolfgang Zenker)
To:        Michael Rubin <mhr@neverthere.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail.local & qmail

Hi,

> I am running FreeBSD 4.3. I just installed qmail and am loving
> it. Everything is great except one problem. [..]
> I cannot get mail delivered to my /var/mail/<user> > directories.

> I read the INSTALL.vsm document and know I need to use
> /var/qmail/boot/binm1. But for some reason /usr/libexec/mail.local
> fails to deliver mail.

> The maillog complains about:

> Jun  5 23:38:23 tanuki mail.local: lockmailbox /var/mail/mhr failed; error code 75
> Jun  5 23:38:23 tanuki qmail: 991809503.505219 delivery 2: deferral: mail.local:_lockmailbox_/var/mail/mhr_failed;_error_code_75_/

> Anyone know what error_code 75 is?

> Or how I could find out for myself in the future?

in cases like that I would start with the assumption that the error code in
question could be an errno value. errno 75 would be an NFS version conflict
between client and server. If your user maildirs are on a nfs mounted file-
system, forget about the version conflict and move your maildirs somewhere
else. Mailspools and similar stuff on nfs mounted filesystems tend not to
work; not least because file locking on nfs is generally unreliable or
simply nonexistant.
Assuming your maildirs are NOT nfs mounted, then the error_code in question
must be an application generated error. You have two places to look for
an explanation:
a) the manual page or info document for your application (try "man mail.local"
   or "man qmail" or "info qmail" and so on).
b) UTSL (= "Use the source, Luke"), look in the sourcefiles of mail.local
   or qmail for error codes

Wolfgang