Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2003 01:36:08 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        FreeBSD STABLE <FreeBSD-STABLE@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   sshd refusing connections problem

We have been having a problem with sshd on our shell server.

This has been happening since March 4, 2003 or before IIRC.  Initially I
thought the next OS upgrade, to 4.8 would fix this.  I am accustomed to
haveing little things go away in a month or two.

I think we jumped to 4.7-STABLE on Feb 28, 2003.  Some exploit fix
wasn't being MFSd to RELENG_4_7 fast enough for my nerves (cvsd?).  It
was last upgraded to FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE #8: Mon Mar 31 22:13:07 EST
2003, RELENG_4_8.

sshd regularly stops accepting new connections.  There is never anything
in the logs.  This time the last connection before sshd stopped taking
new connections was the user, lets call him "bob" who always manages to
leave a lot of processes with the title of "sshd: bob [priv] (sshd)".
Bob currently has 35 of those processes up.

Jun 13 19:17:55 shell sshd[39482]: Accepted password for bob from 10.321.321.321 port 3616
Jun 13 20:28:01 shell sshd[72401]: Received SIGHUP; restarting.
Jun 13 20:28:02 shell sshd[41220]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Jun 13 21:06:49 shell sshd[42072]: Accepted publickey for scott from 68.160.236.249

Obviously, I faked the IP for "bob".

I consoled in this time and hooked up truss to the server PID.  I was
running:

while true ; do /usr/bin/ssh shell.example.com; done;

Thinking that if it were a file handle problem, I might accidentally
get in if I caught it as an active user logged out.  It was closing the
connection as soon as it was made (TCP handshake).  I have, umm, lost
the error messages I was seeing on my side.  Hopefully the truss output
will be sufficient.  My ssh client never got far enough to negotiate a
key with the server.

Truss output is at :

http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/sshd_problem/truss_sshd

netstat -an | grep '\.22   ' output is at :

http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/sshd_problem/netstat-an_sshd

Faked the first two octets of the other users' IPs.

Once I -HUP the sshd process and it forks a new daemon, everything is ok
for another week or two.

lambert@lambertfam.org