Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:17:47 -0500
From:      Andrew Otwell <andrew@networkcomputerz.com>
To:        Brad Guillory <round@baileylink.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kerberosIV

For starters... (my apologies for pine readers - inetd lines listed
below will wrap terribly)

1. man inetd or inetd.conf makes no mention of kerberos and man kerberos
makes no mention of inetd (then why are there entries in inetd????).
Shall the kerbDB run as a full time daemon without inetd calls -
probably or definitely.
2. man kinit, first para, references man 1 kerberos for "registering as
a kerberos user" but man 1 kerberos doesn't tell you how - literally
tell you what to type. This is why I was looking for a
www.freebsddiary.org type install guide.

So I continue ..... with the belief that inetd is used.

I commented out the following lines but my system doesn't have rkinitd,
registerd, or kpasswdd. Shall I use the source and make, make install
from the /usr/src/....kerberosIV/???? No mention of installation
anywhere in the handbook.

# Kerberos authenticated services
#
klogin   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rlogind    rlogind
-k
eklogin  stream       tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rlogind
rlogind -k -x
kshell   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd       rshd -k
rkinit   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rkinitd    rkinitd
#
# Services run ONLY on the Kerberos server
#
###krbupdate stream tcp nowait  root    /usr/libexec/registerd
registerd
###kpasswd   stream tcp nowait  root    /usr/libexec/kpasswdd   kpasswdd

Regarding /etc/auth.conf - my system(s) didn't even have
pam_kerberosIV.so in /usr/lib. My system(s) only have
pam_cleartext_pass_ok, pam_deny, pam_permit, pam_radius, pam_skey,
pam_ssh, pam_tacplus, pam_unix (DES???). Again, I could use some install
tips in the handbook for this.

I'm probably suffering from option overload. If kerberos consists of
/etc/kerberosIV/, kdb_init, kstash, kdb_edit ..., ext_srvtab and moveit
and chmod 600, kdb_edit username, kerberos &, kadmind -n &, then my
system(s) - and I - are broken. It's probably me but I can't see the
forest for the trees. The man page for kdb_edit is pretty scary. I would
hope to see all the available principals and instances (example - man
rc.conf or smb.conf) - maybe I'm just not pay attention to the obvious
here.

BTW, ipfw is wide open on my test systems, as well as inetd, and safely
tucked away from the script kiddies (and ATHENA - is this part of the
problem?).

When I launch kerberos & and kadmind -n and as the user, run kinit
username, all I get is

bashprompt$ kinit username
Kerberos Initialization for "username"
Password: