Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:56:03 +0200
From:      Rico Pajarola <pajarola@cybertime.ch>
To:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MySql

At 05:33 29.07.98 -0500, you wrote:
>Is anybody running MySql in a production environment?  What are your
>opinions regarding performance and stability?  Since MySql is based on
>kernel threads and there seems to be known problems with that on FreeBSD
>I am concerned about its stability.
MySQL seems fast and stable, but there is a problem with file descriptor
limits under FreeBSD. This should'nt be a problem if you dedicate a machine
to it. But don't try to run anything like Squid or INN on the same server...
It uses MIT-Pthreads on -stable, but in current you can (and should) use
kernel threads. I didn't notice any difference in stability though (no
crashes ever safe this nasty 'too many open files').
btw: It was running with a limit of infinity (which means something like
640 to FreeBSD).

>FreeBSD really needs a decent commercial DBMS.
Right

Rico Pajarola