Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:54:23 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Flash drive device name difficulties.

I am running FreeBSD 5.4 RELEASE.
I recently aquired a 256M USB flash drive
which the system recognises when plugged in;
and I can mount and use it -- all working well.

But now I'd like to make it available to a user
or group of users through mtools. To do this I need
to change the permissions on /dev/da0s1 where the
flash drive msdos partition appears. This I can make happen
automatically using /etc/usbd.conf by adding the lines:

device "RunDisk"
        vendor  0x0ef5
        product 0x2366
        attach "sleep 1; /bin/chmod g+rw /dev/da[0-9]*"

giving members of the operator group access.
But this changes permissions on all "da[0-9]" devices.
I know the man pages suggest ${DEVICENAME} to obtain the
particular device but this doesn't work here because usbd
sees the device as "umass0" which doesn't appear in /dev/*.

For the moment this is the only device I have appearing
in the "da*" group so the problem is not immediate/urgent.
But is there some way I can extract the specific "da*" device
name to use in the attach statement or is there some way I can
make the flash drive always pop up at a specific da name.

I've also taken a look at devd.conf but the documentation here
seems somewhat sparse.

You consideration is appreciated,

Malcolm Kay