Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2014 08:06:11 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org" <freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nand controller - how should one handle controllers that want the command+address bits together?

On Mar 19, 2014, at 12:51 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 18 March 2014 07:12, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>=20
>> Because the state machines needed for different NAND types more or
>> less require the 'low level' interface that we have today. The =
different
>> phases in setting up a transaction vary somewhat between the =
different
>> types of NAND, and we have no real knowledge of that in the NAND =
layer
>> today. It was written 4 years ago when most controllers on the market
>> did little more than bit-bang and/or module the signals to the NAND =
since
>> the interfaces at the time were little more than fancy memory mapped
>> memory controllers.
>=20
> Right.
>=20
>=20
>> I've also been looking towards this area as well, given my recent
>> NAND history. In fact, I've been putting together a talk for BSDcan
>> on what needs to be done to make the NAND layer sane, cool and
>> groovy.
>=20
> I may have to come to bsdcan then.
>=20
> You have a DB120; take a look at the ar934x-nfc.c code in openwrt and
> see what they do.

OK.

> There's apparently a PIO mechanism. It's unclear how to use it and
> honestly I wouldn't want to.

I=92ll give it a look when I climb back into the NAND world here next =
week or
so (I was planning on being somewhat specific in my talk at BSDcan, so
need to re-review my notes I=92ve taken so far). I=92ll see if I can get =
you early
access to my talk (meaning, I=92ll see if I can finish early :).

Warner