Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 1995 22:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Disk performance

> In article <199504081952.MAA15923@gndrsh.aac.dev.com> rgrimes writes:
> (and various others, too):

> The SGI challenge starts both on the same clock, then throws away the
> mem data if some cache hit first.  I don't know if they abort the CAS
> part of the memory cycle in that case, but I think not.  That is part
> of the distributed-cache-coherency scheme too.   Doing this hurts you
> badly in the absence of memory interleave, though, since you can't abort
> a RAS-cycle; you are better off waiting like they do in that case.

Ahhhh!!  A good memory system!  The cache hit signal usually comes valid
before the CAS cycle has started, so they probably do abort the CAS cycle
by dropping RAS at this point in time and never asserting CAS.  You still
have to wait the RAS precharge time after doing this though, since you
have infact sucked the storage charge out of the capacitors during the
RAS assertion :-(.

> Possibly worse hit rates; isn't the L2 controller on the main chip too?
No, the L2 cache controller is completly external from the Pentium CPU.

> Also L2 may be wider than main mem too and do background fetch of the other
> half; I don't know about that motherboard.  Bigger ($$$$$) systems do this.

I haven't see a L2 cache wider than the CPU (well, other than in a certain
prototype some place I saw.).  Main memory was also widened in this design
to 128 bits.