Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:56:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ben Pepa <bpepa@msn.bc.ca>
To:        Alexander Batzios <nethopper@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XF86Setup

On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Alexander Batzios wrote:

> Hullo. I have just installed the 2.2.5 ver of freebsd and all is well
> except for Xwindows. When I enter XF86Setup and enter my monitor and
> card settings it CAN, yes can, start the X server in 800x600 resolution.
> But, when I run startx it goes to 800x600 x 1000 little black lines that
> go up and down all the time. I've tried almost every possible modeline
> that might fit my monitor (a handarex crystal) but I can't make the
> black lines go away. So I thought that if I tried to run X the way
> XF86Setup does when it tests the server it might work. Does anyone know
> how XF86Setup starts the X server after the message " attempting to
> start server? "
> Thanks in advance

I had the exact same problem.  My solution was to copy the XF86Config.eg
example file and use it (it works on most my monitors & video cards).

Try this:

  % cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.eg /etc/XF86Config

then, try running startx.  This may fix the problems you've been having.

Hope that helps,
Ben