Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:30:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        skynet1@cris.com
Subject:   Re: Help!

> I just did a " Chmod 770 /* " on my system (stupid me) and I need to make
a few of the items non-770 again (770 means only owner or group can use it)
...Help me please???

1) I don't know what is your preferred editor, with what you type in your
mails, but if it's vi, first type :set wrapmargin=4.  If it's another one,
please type the enter key manually at about the 60-70th column, so we can
read your lines, which are a bit long.  (This on was more than 160
characters, and on my version, it doesn't wrap on the screen, but I can see
only the beginning.)

> Please respond to me at Skynet1@Cris.com, not back to this address..

2. Use a Reply-To: header in your mailer, so we don't need to remember your
mail address, our mailer program will know it.

3) First, as somebody mentioned it: RTFM!  Maybe you don't know: Read That
F... Manual!  And get some bucks, and buy a good book about UNIX:
"UNIX for the Impatient" - I don't know, but it looks from the title, that
it's good to you.
"UNIX for beginners"
"UNIX - the Book"
etc.

4) Here is my answer to your question, in your style:

skynet1-mode on
===============
Asyourproblemisthatyoumadeachmod770/*,andwouldliketoundoit,the1stmethodwouldbetoreinstallthewholesystem.The2ndistogetyourbackupfloppies(orbackuptapesorIdon'tknowwhichmethodyouusetobackup,butyouhavetomakebackups,soitisn'taproblem,isit?),sogetyourlastbackupandrestoreeverythingfromit.Andafteritreinstalleverything.
Orusethemtreecommand'sdatafiles,inwhichfilestherearethecorrectparameters.Andofcourse,usethatdamnedchmodcommandwiththatparameters,youcanfindinthatfile.
================
skynet1-mode off

5) Some other ideas: don't use root account, it has so many problems for
such a new user.

6) Be more patient!  And read much about UNIX!

7) Well, I'm so sorry, but it will be my last response to such an urgent
question (of course, it's only my problem ;-)

8)  Use a more accurate Subject line.  This type of Subject, that help!
HELP! or What a damned thing occured! or like, frustrating some other
people, because they say NOTHING!

9) First of all, read Greg Lehey's weekly (montly? - I don't know) posting
about "How can we get more from questions@freebsd.org"?  If I can find it my
version somewhere, I'll send it in private mail.  We, the others in this
list get it frequently - and I hope, everybody has/had time, to read it.

Sorry for my English, and be a happy Unixer!

Gabor

--
	Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>

Earth is the cradle of human sense, but you can't stay in the cradle forever.
						Tsiolkovsky