Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:19:43 +0100
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pci_virtio_block.c Assertion failed: line 216

Bezüglich Peter Grehan's Nachricht vom 03.01.2017 20:36 (localtime):
> Hi Harry,
>
>> trying to use bhyve(8) with virtio-blk and Windows guest results in core
>> dump:
>> Assertion failed: (n >= 2 && n <= BLOCKIF_IOV_MAX + 2), function
>> pci_vtblk_proc, file usr.sbin/bhyve/pci_virtio_block.c, line
>> 216.
>> Abort trap (core dumped)
>>
>> Unfortunately this is on a production-test machine which lacks gdb etc.
>> Will try to reproduce on antoher machine, but maybe someone already
>> knows that problem?
>
>  virtio-blk isn't currently supported with Windows guests. You'll need
> to use ahci-hd for now.
>
>  However, I do have a fix that can hopefully be committed shortly.
…

Mising in another reply:

…
>> Will try to reproduce on antoher machine, but maybe someone already
>> knows that problem?
>
> I've seen that problem and fixed it, will upstream the patch later today.
>
> JFYI, fixing
> commit:
https://github.com/freenas/os/commit/0e4d6e1826f8aa7041cbeeb4365c797eeec5c5f4

Thanks Jakub for the info.

I can confirm that increasing BLOCKIF_IOV_MAX from 33 to 128, like the
diff shows, solved the problem for me.
I've successfully done some performace tests on Windows7 (virtio-blk vs.
ahci,hd:) and also migrated one Server 2012R2 to bhyve using virtio-blk.

Peter, is your mentioned fix different from just increasing BLOCKIF_IOV_MAX?
If not, would you commit that please?

Thanks,

-harry