Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 13:16:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        matt@lkg.dec.com (Matt Thomas)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 3.0b2 - Problem Found!

> Reading this string of mail seems to imply either a window manager problem
> or a resource problem.  Have those experiencing problem tried running
> netscape with -install so it installs a private colormap?  Does it change
> the behavour?  What window manager do you run?

I was about to post exactly this questions...

If you are looking for a last common denominator, you should all
specify the same information in the same format...

1)	Window manager
	a)	name
	b)	version
	c)	a package? port? self?  Motif?

2)	X server (-showconfig)

3)	X release

4)	Video card
	a)	Chipset
	b)	Memory

5)	Root window background
	a)	if not default black and white crosshatch
	b)	what program you use to set it

7)	FreeBSD kernel
	a)	From a distribution? (which one?)
	b)	From a snap? (which one?)
	c)	Self-built from -stable? (sup date?)
	d)	Self-built from -current? (sup date?)

etc.

Just posting "Well, it works for me" and "Well it doesn't for me"
is gnerating too much traffic and has little chance of hitting the
problem.  The last few posts, I have found that the configuration
data posted has been tagged with "this one works" or "this one
doesn't work" -- and that means that the information is useless.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.