Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:15:43 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is there a way to run FreeBSD ports through port 80?

On Jul 12, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Kaya Saman wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> On Jul 12, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Kaya Saman wrote:
>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> I am trying to introduce FreeBSD into my office and it's been looked
>>> at with quite a bit of enthusiasm however, what makes it look bad is
>>> our companies 'security' policy to block FTP.
>>>=20
>>> At present they are running a whole bunch of CentOS based boxes and
>>> VM's which of course can be run through port 80 when using YUM.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> How does one get round this issue as my superiors are telling me that
>>> opening up FTP is a security risk and therefor don't want to proceed?
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> I would like to use ports specifically and not the pkg_add tool to get =
software.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Can anyone sugget anything?
>>>=20
>>=20
>> env ftp_proxy=3Dhost:port <command>
>>=20
>> where <command> is your normal command, such as "fetch".
>>=20
>> For a full list of environment variables you can use,=85
>>=20
>> $ ldd -f '%p\n' `which fetch` | xargs grep -alr ftp_proxy | xargs string=
s -n 7 | grep _proxy
>> fetch_no_proxy_match
>> fetch_default_proxy_port
>> http_proxy
>> ftp_proxy
>> no_proxy
>>=20
>> --
>> Devin
>>=20
>> _____________
>> The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confiden=
tial. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message=
 and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any=
 manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aw=
are that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and re=
view by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.
>=20
> Thanks Devin for this however,
>=20
> setenv ftp_proxy ftp://<ip>:<port>; indicates that FTP is being proxied ou=
t.
>=20
> We simply have it banned on a Juniper firewall. So http is being
> proxied by a web appliance but that's it... nothing else.
>=20
>=20

Yep. It's up to your proxy server whether it's going to handle FTP or only =
HTTP (and/or HTTPS).

I use squid a lot and it handles FTP great.
--=20
Devin