Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 00:32:50 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        asmodai@bart.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic (TCP)

> > If persist timer is working, and if it happen to timeout between
> > 			callout_reset(tp->tt_rexmt, tp->t_rxtcur,
> > 				      tcp_timer_rexmt, tp);
> > and
> > 				callout_stop(tp->tt_persist);
> > then the panic might happen at tcp_setpersist().
>
> This should never happen, since this code is supposed to be running at
> splnet(), which is supposed to block timeouts.  Rather than papering
> over the problem, I'd like to understand how it's possible.

I also later thought so, but again I suspect that the part is
also one of the cause of the problem. Because as the value of
tp->t_rexmt at panic, retransmit timer also seemed to be
running at the time, and I can't find any other place which
might cause this situation.
Also I think anyway the patch is better to be applied.

My assumption might be wrong but I am now trying if I can
create some patch that make the problem very likely to happen.

Thanks,
Yoshinobu Inoue