Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:54:44 +0000
From:      Dima Dorfman <dd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ida(4) driver: Compaq Smart Array users wanted.

Matthew N. Dodd <mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> Using an up to date -CURRENT and
> ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/idacontrol.tar the status of a logical
> volume may be displayed, and rebuilds initiated from a running system.
>
> I'm not at all happy with the output formatting of the utility but its
> better than nothing.  Any feedback will be appreciated etc.

Ooh!  I recently had to set up a machine with a Smart Array controller
in it, and I was looking for something that could display the status
while running FreeBSD.  Thanks!

After installing a recent -current, idacontrol works fine, reporting
the following information about my controller:

[Compaq Integrated Array controller]
          Controller uptime: 00 hours 03 minutes 49 seconds
           Firmware Version: 1.50 (running) 1.50 (ROM)
        Revision -
                   Hardware: 2
                  Marketing: A
             SCSI bus count: 2
         Max drives per bus: 16
            Maximum request: 65535 blocks

(1.50 seems to be the latest firmware that the HP site says is
appropriate for this machine (a first-generation Proliant DL580)).
"show controller" (above) and "show logical" work without a hitch, but
"show physical" displays about 30 lines like this:

	ida0: soft error

A few occur right after displaying information for the third device
(there are four total), but most of them appear after all the output.
Is this normal, or is it an indication of a software bug or hardware
fault?

> Additionaly, I'd be very interested to know if anyone else can reproduce
> some of the problems I've observed with the ida(4) driver when hotswapping
> drives.
>
> I've been able to lock up the controller reliablly by removing and
> inserting a failed drive.

I don't have a "failed" drive, but removing and inserting one drive of
a RAID 1 logical drive mostly worked okay.  After removing it, the
kernel kept spewing "ida0: soft write error", but these seemed to be
harmless, and inserting the drive back in correctly put the logical
drive in a reviving state.

This machine has to go to production in a couple of weeks, but I'll
have it here until it does.  If there's anything you want me to try on
it, please let me know.  Also, if any of the above could be
indications of a hardware fault, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks,

Dima.