Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:52:27 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual boot with LINUX

On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 04:29:39PM -0400, Dennis wrote:
> At 10:07 PM 6/18/99 +0200, you wrote:
> >Dennis wrote:
> >
> >> Can linux be booted using the freebsd boot manager? Lilo always seems to
> >> want to install itself.
> >
> >Provided you install Linux in a primary fdisk partition (slice 1-4),
> >it should work OK.  The RedHat default is to install to an extended
> >fdisk partition, and we don't support booting from those.
>
> Well the problem with *should* is that lilo installs itself whenever you
> run it, and you have to run it to install a new kernel. So I was hoping to
> find someone that has actually done it.

Just to say it:  I have done it.

I used BootEasy to dual-boot RH5.2 and FBSD-3.2-R.

RH gets grabby, though:  you have to take great pains to a) install
it's root partition in a primary partition, and b) not grab the
rest of the disk as a 'logical' (ha!) partition, then leave a mess
of it marked as 'unused'.

I installed FreeBSD first, then RedHat.  With RedHat, use fdisk
(rather than DiskDruid) to massage the partition table.  DiskDruid
_might_ work, but it thwarted me once, and I was getting impatient.

I recall that I also had to use the 'Partition' utility from FBSD
/stand/sysinstall to manually mark the Linux root partition as
active (all of the other tools on hand would only let me set one
partition as active, I wanted them all to be marked as such).  This
may not been neccessary, but the BootEasy manager assuredly could
see the Linux partition thereafter.

When you install LILO, have it do so on the boot block of the
partition, not the MBR.  Upon installation, LILO noticed that there
was another partition, and offered to set up a label for it.  I
did; and now, when I bring up the Linux half, I can re-jump to the
FreeBSD half.

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Current daytime number: (603)-434-6842