Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 95 13:20:20 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.mt.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Graphical interface to gdb?

> Cygnus made an announcement about this a while ago, and I remember
> hearing that the newest version of UPS was going to use gdb for the
> front end, but I haven't heard anything since.

ups-3.7-alpha does use a gdb backend.  When it ups-3.7 first
came out I played with it but it had some problems. ups is
my debugger of choice on platforms where it runs.  Verra
verra nice!

ups' author, Mark Russell, seems as busy as the rest of us.
He has been promising an update for a while now...  Perhaps
some moolah will induce him to spend some time on it?

Though, IMNSHO, ups + gdb is a bit of a shotgun wedding.
gdb-4.13.tar.gz is more than five times bigger than ups-
2.45.2-tar.gz and yet, the latter works on a sizable subset
of architectures that gdb-4.13 runs on.  And ups-2.45.2 is
not copylefted.  What ups really needed for each arch. was a
relatively modular a) disassembler, b) process control
interface, c) knowledge of a.out/coff/elf/dwarf etc.  Using
gdb is an awfully expensive way to get that.  Oh well.

Bakul

PS: gdb is a fine debugger and I use it where I can't use
ups.  Flame me if you must for not thinking gdb is the
greatest but don't expect me to respond!!