Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:03:32 -0600
From:      "Lawrence Kreitzer" <Lawrence.Kreitzer@aa.com>
To:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   New Kernel Not Seeing NIC ?

Hello everyone

I am a newbie to Unix in general and FreeBSD in particular, but I have a =
lot of experience with all sorts of OS-es, dating back to the CDC-6400.  =
vi is not so strange, believe it or not :)=20

I recently bought BSD 4.1 Desktop Edition.  The install worked just fine, =
as far as it went, it just didn't go far enough.  I need to connect to my =
office network to do anything - print, surf, whatever - but I have an =
Olicom 3118 tokenring NIC in this box. =20

The Complete FreeBSD book that came with the package was written for =
version 3.x and the CDs do not have the CVS on it (at least, I couldn't =
find it and I have looked for it pretty darn hard).  Nonetheless, it =
covers most subjects well enough so that I can I generalize the info to my =
particular situation, I think.

I understand that to get the Olicom working, I need to build new kernel.  =
I created my own configuration file after studying LINT and starting with =
GENERIC.  I think I have the correct files in the correct places.  config, =
make depend, make and make install all work without any fatal or serious =
errors (an occasional warning comes up in make depend).

My question is this (and perhaps it is better addressed to the tokenring =
list, but I thought I should start here, being a newbie) - when I boot, =
all the devices I have defined in the config come up, except for the =
Olicom.  I get this instead=20

>>  unknown0: <Olicom Token-Ring ISA 16/4> at port 0xa00-0xa1f irq 3 drq1 =
on ISA0

Having browsed the tokenring mailing list archive, I have seen comments =
that the ISA cards have had support dropped, to be replaced later, when =
the PCI card drivers came out.  I hope this is not the case and that =
instead I am doing something stupidly wrong.  Conversely, must I do a =
MAKEDEV?  (which I have already tried to no success, because the code =
doesn't have any references to oltr in it)  or even a mknod ?  If so, =
could someone provide me with the parameters for it ?

I appreciate y'all (as they say down here in Texas) shedding some light on =
this for me.  Thanks !

Lawrence Kreitzer