Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 23:48:03 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Scheidell <scheidell@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] New framework options aka optionng

--NklN7DEeGtkPCoo3

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 05:38:26PM -0400, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>=20
>=20
> On 5/30/12 5:33 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> would only cause confusion.
> > I'll go one further and suggest that the vast majority who don't want
> > these features are building specialized systems and they know very
> > well what they are doing. A global setting for these would be
> > desirable, though, as someone building a specialized distribution for,
> > say, an embedded system, will want no docs or examples for any port. I
> > suspect it is ALMOST always an all or nothing issue, not per port.
> > --=20
> for our commercial systems, we don't install man, docs, examples.
> and, I would suspect that I would be a little peeved if next time I=20
> recompile all the ports, I had to stop and hit 'WITHOUT_PORTDOCS,=20
> WITHOUT_PORTEXAMPLES' on every port.
>=20
> Upward compatibility folks, if at all possible.
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Michael Scheidell, CTO
>  >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
> d: +1.561.948.2259
> w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell

echo "OPTIONS_UNSET+=3D DOCS" >> /etc/make.conf
echo "NO_DIALOG=3Dyes" >> /etc/make.conf

having NOPORTSDOC and NOPORTEXAMPLES, KNOBS and OPTIONS has been a constant
demand by lots of users that is why I wrote it that way and merged NOPORTDO=
CS
and NOPORTEXAMPLES and WITHOUT_NLS btw to optionsng, I may be wrong, if tha=
t is
the case please speak loudly, saying why, what would be best what do you ex=
pect.

Keep in mind that currently lots of ports already define OPTIONS only conce=
rning
documentation, also note that some DOCS might bring some heavy depencies li=
ke
doxygen.

Last but not least, by chance (for once I'm happy with chance :)) you do not
have to add DOCS or EXAMPLES to OPTIONS_DEFINE to be able to use them in yo=
ur
ports! So you can use it just like NOPORTDOCS and NOPORTEXAMPLES use to wor=
k.
IE without and make config needed.

that mean a single way to define/check for it but 2 different kind of optio=
ns.

Not sure this mail is clear :)

regards,
Bapt