Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 1995 22:40:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: More nits

As David Greenman wrote:

>    Okay, I think the solution is starting to become clear. Basically, mount
> should return a failure code only in the case of it failing to mount a
> filesystem because it is dirty...

>    Will this make people happy?

Hmm, but what about people that need the CD since they prefer to run
their /usr from it?  (Or from an NFS mount, FWIW.)

I think this was Rod's entire idea to include things like cd9660 into
the list of `crucial' file systems.  It was infact crucial for him at
AAC, but it ain't for most people outside.

However, as John Polstra did already note, you could achieve the very
same effect (as your proposal) by making only failing ufs mounts
fatal, and don't care for the exit status of mount(8) for things like
cd9660.  (This would be my favorite for 2.1 anyway, to avoid annoying
too many innocent users.)

In the long run, i think an ``optional'' clause has its merits: it
allows the local system administrator for full flexibility in the
decision of which file system is ``crucial'' for him, and which ain't.
Nobody else than him will be able to decide this anyway.

--
cheers, J"org