Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 13:23:47 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Denial of service attack from "imagelock.com"

At 06:16 PM 5/22/99 -0700, Gregory Sutter wrote:

 >imagelock.com has been banned from my web servers ever since they
>initiated a DoS attack against me a few months ago.  Basically, they
>download every accessible file on a website.  The company's MO is to
>check all images, etc. on a site in order to determine where on teh
>web "copyrighted information" is being stored, so people can be
>prosecuted for misusing copyrighted images.

In short, they scan Person A's Web site for images that are also
on Person B's Web site, and if they find a match, they say, "Let's
you and him fight. Oh, and by the way, you ought to be paying me
for finding this horrible copyright violation."

This is one step below an amulance-chasing lawyer, IMHO, because
they first STIMULATE the conflict and then try to profiteer on it.

>Not only does their hard-hitting web client suck,

Indeed it does. I found a log that shows that imagelock.com
accounted for *25%* of the traffic on delta.net's Web servers
last October. And delta.net is a *big* ISP! (I hear they recently
merged with Concentric, so now they're bigger still.)

>their business model
>is disgusting.  I hate everything about these people; I hope their
>skulls accidentally get crushed by a steamroller.

I don't know whether or not this would help. But complaining to their
ISP probably would.

--Brett