Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:32:03 -0500
From:      "Steve Sims" <SimsS@IBM.Net>
To:        "Nate Williams" <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Hackers" <Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building PAO kernel on non-PAO system

Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> says:
| > What does surprise me is that there isn't a *obvious* way to build
kernels
| > or, for that matter, hardware- and kernel-structure-specific apps for
various
| > architectures, versions and configurations on a single machine and
distribute
| > them to one or more "client" machines.  I've run shops where this would
have
| > been a REQUIREMENT (e.g.: a farm of diskless workstations in a variety of
| > interfaces, processors, etc...)
|
| What do you mean?  Copy the config to a new name, edit it, build the
| kernel and you're donne.  What more do you want?

I think you missed my point - It's not possible (or I'm not smart enough to
know how) to build, say, 2.1.7, 2.2 *AND* -current kernels on a single "super
server" and then blow them out amongst the unsuspecting users depending on
their needs (and possibly their threshold for pain).  Can such a thing be
done?  Obviously, I can build different *configurations* of a single release
version, but I can't (easily) have different versions of the OS all build
from the same source tree.

This is the point I'm trying to make in my own inept fashion - I can't build
a PAO-enabled kernel to distribute to another machine on a (non-PAO
configured) desktop that's running a different rev of FreeBSD source.  Or can
I?

...sjs...