Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:37:31 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-ports@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   unassociated shell command

I'm still very new to this, but I'm almost complete on my first port. I
do have an unusual error which crops up from time to time and I'm
usually able to fudge along and clear it- but this last little bit won't
clear!

The particular lines in question are as follows:

post-extract:
[snip]
.if defined(NOPORTDOCS)
         @if [ -d ${WRKDIR}/usr/share/doc ]; then \
                 ${RM} -rf ${WRKDIR}/usr/share/doc; \
         fi
PLIST_SUB+="@comment "
.else
PLIST_SUB+= PORTDOCS=""
.endif

and I get the following error make -DNOPORTDOCS install:
"Makefile", line 59: Unassociated shell command "@if [ -d
${WRKDIR}/usr/share/doc ]; then  ${RM} -rf ${WRKDIR}/usr/share/doc;  fi"
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

What am I possibly missing? No googling helps, and I've tried many
different tricks that have worked in the past as ${DIRRM}, ${RM},
individual directory/file removal, etc.

The indentation is exactly as in the Makefile.