Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 00:22:55 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Ryan K. Losh" <rklosh@rkl.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        sos@freebsd.dk
Subject:   Re: Request for testers of new ATA driver patches

On Thursday 07 March 2002 12:06 am, Ryan K. Losh wrote:
| > I'm not sure if I did something wrong with upgrading, but the ata device
| > did not make into my /dev/MAKEDEV file.  It is in my /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV
| > file, but not in the /dev/MAKEDEV file.  I did the usual make buldworld /
| > make kernel / reboot / make installworld sequence.  Mergemaster found
| > nothing to merge, which is unsurprising since I didn't upgrade, I just
| > integrated your patchfile (which patched my source tree without error so
| > I figured that was ok).
|
| I had this problem, too.
|
| > But once I created the device (I actually read the patchfile to figure
| > out where it was and just issued the proper "mknod" by hand), it works
| > great!
| >
| > My hot-swappable secondary hard drive is now hot-swappable under FreeBSD!
|
| Mine doesn't seem to be.  I've got a HP Pavilion ZU-1175 laptop that
| physically is two separate parts: a docking station with a dual
| channel (ata2 and ata3) PCI IDE controller and 2 IDE drives (separate
| DVD and CDRW drives).  The only time FreeBSD recognizes these drives
| is when I boot the computer ON THE DOCKING STATION.  It looks like the
| IDE controller is a separate PCI device which is "hot-plugged"
| whenever docking/undocking the laptop.  Any idea if hot-plug PCI
| devices are supported in FreeBSD?

You understand that it's only semi-hot, right?  Or at least that it's not
automatically hot-swappable . . .

You have to do an

atacontrol reinit

after insert or removing, and of course you have to mount & umount as usual,
and in the sensible order; eg, to dock:

(physically dock)
atacontrol reinit 1
mount /whatever/is/on/the/second/channel

To undock:
umount /whatever/I/mounted/before
(physically undock)
atacontrol reinit 1

| > I've only been using it for oh . . . ten minutes now so system stablity
| > hasn't really been tested all that thorougly, but I was able to boot with
| > it out and then insert, reinit the channel, and properly mount it.
|
| The patch was stable enough to survive deleting my src tree, untar the
| backup I saved, and make buildworld buildkernel installkernel/reboot
| to restore my old config...

I've been running it for a while now and it continues to be stable for me,
BTW.

| Ryan

| with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

PS: Søren mentioned on his initial posting that he's not on this list, so
'twoud be good to send comments to him as well as the list.  I've added him
to this reply.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org