Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:19:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        K.J.Koster@kpn.com (Koster K.J.)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Legacy ethernet cards in FreeBSD

> Dear All,
>
> Last night I cvsupped my trusty old Compaq Deskpro XL 6200 from 4.0-release
> to 4.2-beta. As part of that process, I seem to have lost support for the
> on-board NIC (lnc0: PCNet/PCI Ethernet Adapter, PC-net-32 VL-Bus).

Ok, "seem to have lost support" is about the vaguest thing you could
have said. I've killed people for less. Please explain in detail how
you arrived at the conclusion that the card was no longer supported.
Show us the dmesg output from your machine. Explain what you tried to
do and what results you observed. Don't just say "it doesn't work."
You've not going to help anyone that way.

FreeBSD 4.2 has a new driver for AMD PCnet/PCI devices, in particular
the 10/100 cards, because the lnc driver runs these cards in 16-bit
LANCE compatibility mode which really impairs their performance. Did
you check to see if a pcn0 device was detected? Did you attempt to
use it? If not, why not? If so, what happened?

> What is the newest version of FreeBSD that will propely support that card?

You're soaking in it.

> If there are people who are cleaning up the support for older network cards
> in FreeBSD I'd like to help out by sending you my old NICs. It's not like
> they're any good to me without OS support.
>
> Please contact me off-list for any of the following cards:
>
>   3Com 3c503        ISA

Should work with the ed driver, *provided* you get its I/O address set
correctly so that the ed driver will detect it. I haven't used one of
these since FreeBSD 2.x though.

>   DEC Etherworks    ISA
>   DEC DE205         ISA

Don't know about these.

>   SMC EtherEZ       ISA

Should also work with the ed driver, though you may have to turn off
plug and play mode using the SMC EZSetup utility.

>   RealTek "TP-Link" PCI

If this is a 10mbps card, it should be an NE2000 clone, and will work
with the ed driver. If it's a 100Mbps card, it should work with the
rl driver.

> I'll be happy to try out patches for the lnc driver to fix the problem of
> the Deskpro, or to give remote access to it if you want to work on it.

I'd be happier if you told me whether the pcn driver works or not.

-Bill