Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:25:53 +0800 (CST)
From:      Matthew Enger <menger@dhs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perl crypt, apache .htaccess passwords

Hello,
	I have a large number of users passwords stored using crypt on
linux in a htaccess file. These passwords work fine using this encryption
method on Linux, Solaris and Windows but when I use it on FreeBSD, the
crypt call encrypts using md5. Why has the standard crypt call been
changed?

	I know I can switch to libdes and it works, but then I lose long
passwords in my master.passwd file as md5 is no longer used during
changing of passwords. Anyone got a solution which allows me to:

* have the C crypt call use standard encryption as on other unix platforms
* have apache read my .htaccess passwords as on Linux/Solaris
* have perl return the normal crypt responce when I use the crypt call
* use md5 passwords on my master.passwd file?

	The reason I ask is because RedHat Linux does it so I am confident
it can also be done with FreeBSD.

	from,
		Matthew Enger
		menger@kgv.edu.hk