Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 07:21:48 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing and Running PostgreSQL on FreeBSD 3.1

"Jim Freeze" writes:
> > Good! That's the right way to do it. Now you might wish to pkg_delete
> > it and do it again using "make USE_TCL=true install" then follow up by
> > installing the pgaccess port.  :-)
>
> Instead of `pkg_delete` should I use `make deinstall` since I used `make
> install`
> to install it?

I've never used "make deinstall". But once a port is installed there is
no difference between it and a "package". I use "ls /var/db/pkg" to see
what is installed and to know what name to pkg_delete.

> Also, what is the advantage of using TCL. I plan on using PHP3 for my main
> access to the databases. Or  am I missing the point?

pgaccess is the only thing that requires TCL/TK, unless you write
something yourself. While you can use psql to browse/build your
database(s), pgaccess appears to be a very good graphical psql.
> > You have to make account(s) within PostgreSQL for those you wish to
> > allow to access the SQL system.
> >
> What does within PostgreSQL mean. Are these user accounts
> not BSD user accounts.

Correct. See below. The error message is: "FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user
'dkelly' is not in 'pg_shadow'" so I created myself as a PostgreSQL
user, using exactly the same user ID name and number (PostgreSQL's
default) as in FreeBSD.

> Wow. Thanks for the walk through. I really appreciate it. BTW, concerning
> this user business. How does that apply when someone accesses the
> db through a web page (Apache+PHP3). Is this what is meant by
> network access below?

If the server and database are on different hosts then that will
qualify as "network access". There is a very useful Linux-based example
webpage out there somehwere demonstrating Apache, PHP3, and PostgreSQL.
Can't find the link at the moment but found it either from the PHP3 or
PostgreSQL site.

One thing that example will show is what user PHP3 will be when your
web access happens. It might be "nobody". I forgot.