Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 13:30:40 -0400
From:      "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
To:        "Jan Knepper" <jan@digitaldaemon.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-ISP" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Log file rotation with Apache.

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_29527792=_=_=_

How often do you run webalizer? i doubt there is a way to
rotate the log files without touching apache. It won't know
what to do once the log file is gone. If you simply rename
and then compress, apache will still append to the same
file and will therefore corrupt it.

-Simon

--Original Message Text---
From: Jan Knepper
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:18:10 -0400

Well what I want to solve is the size of the log files.
What I remember from the Webalizer docco is that it will scan .gz log files.
I run Apache and Webalizer on the same .log files and have not seen any problems with that yet.

What my current problem is is that I would like to rotate the apache log files without having to touch apache.

Jan

Simon wrote:
What we do is rename *.log to *.log.resolve, restart apache, run webalizer on
*.log.resolve.

-Simon