Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2007 01:15:50 +0200
From:      Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org,  msherman77@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: network/multithreaded programming on FreeBSD

--------------enigEAF3F56298D8AE122A6D14CE

Karol Kwiatkowski wrote:
> Michael S wrote:
>> Good day all,
>>
>> I am not sure this is the correct list for my
>> question, I am still going to ask though.=20
>> I am a 3rd year computer science student and in the
>> fall I am going to be taking courses in network and
>> system programming (with pthread). As a lot of
>> universities do, mine also teaches these courses on
>> Linux. I was wondering if there was a lot of
>> difference in socket and multi-threaded programming
>> between Linux and FreeBSD?

Hi Michael,
the system calls you'll need for networking socket programming and
pthreads are POSIX compliant on both linux and freebsd.
Thus, you'll be able to port your programs between the two systems.

I suggest to refer to the POSIX pages on threads:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/xsh_chap02_09.htm=
and sockets:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/xsh_chap02_10.htm=

and to read the wonderful Beej's guite to network programming:
http://www.beej.us/guide/bgnet/

>> Thanks in advance,
I hope this helps,

>> Michael