Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 15:19:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SOLVED - Re: AAARGH.

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:
>
> > Sh~t.  Now I'm seeing a hang, but its hanging even on a
> > pre-interrupt-routing kernel I kept.  Its completing the boot, and
> > getting all the way to a login prompt, but it hangs solid just a
> > few seconds after that.  The BIOS upgrade must have caused it. :-(
>
> OK... this hang is really weird.  Everything is fine as long as I
> stay in single-user mode. I can ifconfig interfaces, run cvsup,
> etc.  But just seconds after booting multi-user and getting the
> login prompt, the system hangs solid.  I've tried old 4.3 GENERIC
> kernels, recent kernels, all the same.  I've removed everything
> imaginable from the startup sequence.  Nothing in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d starting up, nothing on rc.local, I even
> somehow managed to accidentally delete rc.conf and still it hangs
> on boot.  Made up a new rc.conf with everything disabled that
> usually gets turned on by default.  Even took out all of the
> tweaks in sysctl.conf.  No go.  Anyone else seeing this on a
> Compaq or any other box?

I found the cause of the hangs, at least one half of the cause.
While perusing through dmesg, I noticed that there were some devices
probed and "found" that I had disabled in the system configuration
utility.  Taking a shot in the dark, I completely removed three unused
drivers from the kernel (sio, ppc/lpt, psm).  Now the system no longer
freezes when going multi-user.  WHY FreeBSD froze when going
multi-user, and only multi-user, is a mystery to me.

Before that I managed to get everything limping along by configuring
everything by hand and running all of my services in single-user mode.
:-)

For the purposes of the archives, the machine in question is a Compaq
Proliant ML530 using the 4/XX/2001 BIOS (XX=12, I think).  This
problem occurred with a 4.3-RELEASE GENERIC kernel as well, so it
definately isn't something introduced by any of the recent changes
we've also been talking about, but rather introduced by some version
of the Proliant ML530 BIOS between December 1999 and April 2001.  I
suppose some changed default behaviours in the newer System
Configuration Utility could have caused the problems as well.  I
didn't test the December 1999 BIOS with the newest configuration
utility to see if the problem still occurred.

Now back to the problem of the PCI BIOS and PCI interrupt routing on
these beasts. :-)

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet