Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 05:09:37 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fpsetmask on sparc64

Jake Burkholder wrote:
> > Isn't that really a lame excuse?  Shouldn't
> >
> >       #ifdef __FreeBSD__
> >
> > be enough to make code compile on all FreeBSD platforms?
>
> I don't know, why don't you try it.

I understand the snide reply.  My point was that if FreeBSD had
platform differences, it should hide them from user space
applications: if it's going to be as hard to port to FreeBSD-alpha
from FreeBSD-i386, then you might as well spend your time on a
higher margin platform.

Apparently, Solaris supports fpsetmask(3C) in SVR4 derived
Solaris on SPARC, which means that this is not an Intel-specific
feature, and therefore it's not possible to justify it being an
Intel-specific feature in FreeBSD.  In the absolute worst case,
it should be stubbed out, and complain, on SPARC and Alpha, if
it isn't made to work.

Solaris man page:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=fpsetmask&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=SunOS+5.8&format=html

-- Terry