Date:      Tue,  7 Feb 2006 22:10:43 +0100
From:      g@esil.univ-mrs.fr
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   BIG BIG problem with Xorg and... something else...

Hi all,

   First don't blame me for cross-posting on stable and x11 lists but both seem
relevant for my problem.

   I'm tracking 6-STABLE. Since one week, I can't use my computer under FreeBSD.
The boot is OK, xdm screen is OK. But if I launch a KDE session, I've some color
problems during initializing session, then X freezes (before end of loading !!!)
and the only way is to poweroff the computer !!! No ssh, no way to CTRL-ALT F1
switching to a console screen, the box is down...

   I've googled a lot before posting here, but I've found nothing to rescue
me... Best idea : problems with the video card (ATI Radeon X300 on DELL Optiplex
GX280, or, in xorg language :
(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
PCI: (1:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE])
 are mentioned on some forums which freeze X, but only if DRI & GLX are enabled.
I've disabled these modules.

   Note I can have a text mode session without any problem in console mode if I
CTRL-ALT-F1 switch without xdm logon. I also can have a windowmaker session
until I don't launch a "bad" app... like firefox or any kde component. I can use
gftp which is OpenMotif based...

   I mail you from my box... but inside an XFCE FreesBie live CD session, which
is 5.3 release based and runs like a charm : no X problem (like me during last
year from 5.3 STABLE to 6-STABLE until previous week...). WXP runs without
problem on another slice... So I think I can exclude hardware dysfunction...

    The problem begins before I upgrade to KDE 3.5 and xorg 6.9. The upgrade has
had no effect... I've sync my sources two days ago : no effect...

    I don't know what to do ? No log, no coredump... Any idea ???

   My xorg.conf (and also an uncommented version), Xorg.0.log (X.org 6.9) and
older Xorg.8.log (Xorg 6.8, before the problem)  are viewable here :
http://www.esil.univ-mrs.fr/~g/FreeBSD-x-problem.

    Thanks a lot in advance for any idea, comment, explanation, light,
incantation, etc.

Gérard.

Message envoyé via le webmail de l'ESIL (http://www.esil.univ-mrs.fr)
reposant sur le système libre et gratuit IMP (http://horde.org/imp/)