Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:03:15 +0300
From:      "ANdrei" <lists@hausro.de>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: building an old-hardware server

hi Dean

> realteks nics are horrible, if you have a 3c905b floating around *use it*
> you should be able to pick them up for about $2 if someone rips you off,
> also intel etherexpress 100/B's are good as well, they will also be
> in a local pile of old parts for $2.

yeah, I was thinking the same.

> Any network card drive that comes compiled with a release kernel can
> safely be considered very usable. also, dont be worried if a network card
> chip
> has bugs, they often do, and to confuse things, chips with lots of
> clones tend to have different bugs depending on who made the chip
> (the digital 'tulip' ones, KNE110TX previously mentioned is one, had
> many manufacturers and varried bugs and quirks)

I have to build another old-hardware server in some weeks, so I will then
use the KNE11TX maybe... Also have a SMC around, seems to be bug-free
driver... Usually when I have an alternative, I use the best one, so I might
go for SMC ;)

> 1 gig hard disks are a waste of time, space and money.

How about 2gig ones? ;)
I actually don't pay anything for these, but would have to pay for other
ones... only have those and two 4GB IDEs, but I thought SCSI to be faster
and less CPU killing... We have enough space here, just no money for this
server :)

thanks for your reply!
ANdrei