Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:46:35 -0400
From:      Andrea Bacchet <baccheta@cae.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Jail single ip network (FreeBSD 4.5)

Greetings,

	I have discovered something interesting about my problem.
I always thought telnet and ssh weren't working! But this is
false.

	I was trying to connect, and gave the following command:

#ssh -p 22 -l grimm darkside

	Which resulted in nothing.. it just kinda hung there.
I must have tried this a million times, but this time, I forgot
about it, while I tended my tea, and lo and behold after about
5 minutes, the password prompt came up.. after about 4-5 minutes
of waiting after entering my password.. it then gave me the shell.
And from that moment on, everything was real time, I could notice
no lag.

	I then tried the same thing, but with telnet:

#telnet darkside

I had to wait another 5 mins or so before it prompted me for username,
but unlike ssh, once I entered my username, the password prompt
appeared immediately and I logged in without anymore lag.

	So both these tests worked (somewhat.. considering this
5 minute response lag). I then tried from within my host once more,
but this time without using the darkside (jail) hosts alias. I decided
to see if it would work if I called the same command, but with the
host IP (which is the only valid network IP I have for that box).
I got connection refused for both ssh and telnet.

	So now I have two questions!

1 - Why the 5 minute wait for my jail to respond to ssh and telnet requests?

2 - Is it possible, using only 1 real ip and one alias (like I have right
now)
to connect to the jail from outside that box?

	Cheers,

	__
	Andy