Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 19:34:45 +0100
From:      Thomas Nystrom <thn@saeab.se>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for hanging of vr interface (Rhine Ethernet)

Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Hi,
>          The Motherboard is a BioStar U8068. Chipset is Via VT8751
> (pm4M266)/VT8235.  There is nothing obvious on the board that says what
> rev. If you like, I could send you a couple of .jpg images of the
> motherboard if that helps.

Ok, I have found that the board should have a VT6103 PHY-chip. There is no
specific support for that chip in FreeBSD and the default PHY driver is
used instead. There is no need for any pictures of the board!

> Also, while pushing the board network wise, I got a
> vr0: Using force reset command.
> Is this normal ?

Well, I should say: No. Something happend and the driver decided to reset
to interface but the reset was never completed, then it tried to use a
harder way of resetting the chip.

Did you get some other message before or after the 'force reset' message?
Did the interface work after the forced reset?

/thn